Fort Curtis July 4, 2016

Fort Curtis July 4, 2016

The Arkansas Toothpick has several items of interest to our readers in this update. This 4th of July was a hot one as living historians battled the heat during the 153rd anniversary of the Battle of Helena. As in the real battle, the 33rd MO Infantry manned the artillery. The day before on the 3rd the American Queen Steamboat docked in Helena. The photo you see to the left is of a steamboat visitor from California visiting with the artillery crew.

We received an interesting email a few days ago noting that the latest Arkansas Toothpick Publishing, LLC’s book Civil War Arkansas: A Military Atlas was purchased and donated in memory of a loved one. Here is the associated press release out of Nevada County:

Copies of Civil War Arkansas: A Military Atlas have been donated to the Prescott Nevada County Library and to the Nevada County Depot Museum in memory of the late John W. Teeter Jr.
The newly-published atlas is based on a rare 1864 map prepared by Confederate topographical engineer Richard M. Venable. The original map is in the National Archives. It does not track military activity but rather was intended to help military planners by showing the locations of landmarks such as roads, rivers, homes, churches and businesses, particularly in south Arkansas.
Of special local interest, the map shows the extent of Prairie d’Anne (as spelled on Venable’s map), river crossings such as Elkin’s Ferry on the Little Missouri, and the several routes between Washington and Camden. An appendix indicates where roads overlap “Then and Now.”
In April 1864, present-day Nevada County was the scene of major activity as a large Federal force made its way from Elkin’s Ferry toward Camden. Thousands of Union and Confederate soldiers, with hundreds of horses and wagons, were skirmishing almost constantly.
After a successful effort to purchase 448 acres at Elkin’s Ferry, the Depot Museum is currently raising funds to purchase part of the Prairie d’Ane battlefield just west of Interstate 30.
The atlas was produced by Randy Puckett and Ron Kelley of Helena and their Arkansas Toothpick Publishing company.
Teeter helped establish the Depot Museum in 1976. He died in 2009. The books were donated by his niece Kitty Sloan of Jonesboro.