One hundred and fifty years ago, Little Rock was the medical hub of the state. While sick and wounded soldiers found their way to the relative safety of the capitol city, more supplies became a necessity to benefit the rehabilitating wounded and sick troops. Little Rock newspapers were printing announcements from the Confederate medical corps.
In the January 7, 1863 edition of the Arkansas True Democrat, the Medical Purveyor Dr. E. Silverburg noted that he would send a wagon “to the residence of all persons who have old jugs, bottles and vials—it being impossible to procure such articles elsewhere. Those having such articles to spare will leave their names at the Purveyor’s office.”
A week later, Dr. Silverburg printed an announcement in the same newspaper pleading for “cooking utensils of all kinds—plates, cups and of saucers, knives and forks.” The announcement was followed up with a desperate plea: “Cannot every family spare something of the kind, for the benefit of our sick and wounded men, now so much in want of them.”
With Winter set in Arkansas, soldiers were not looking forward to military maneuvers, drill, or Heaven forbid- a battle. With the Arkansas River low, the threat of an immediate Federal invasion via the river was not likely. The Texas troops stationed at Arkansas Post, however, kept an unflinching eye on the water levels as an attack was thought to be coming in the near future.